Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Online Backup - Top 5 Backup Solutions

Finding the best backup solution can be rather difficult but very important. We are all storing more and more information on our computers and now it is even possible to get all your regular mail online instead of receiving it by post. This includes tax papers and other important documents. Still, backup is only thought of when things actually go wrong instead of securing your data on a regular basis. A few people take a backup of their files once in a while when they get around to it, which simply isn't enough anymore, but most never think of it.

The purpose of this article is to get you, the pc user, thinking of how you would like windows backup running and by covering your needs, find the application that fits your requirements.

Identifying your backup requirements
Below is a list of requirements I have used myself. You can use this list to get started and hopefully end up with a windows backup solution which will make sure you never loose a file again.

Online backup: it is all about security and one of the requirements is offsite backup, meaning your files will be stored on a server far away from the originals. This also saves your data in case of theft and nature disasters, like flooding or house fire.

  • Scheduled backup: once the backup has been configured, I never want to think about it again. The backup must be scheduled to fit my requirements, which could be once per day.
  • Notifications: I don't want to think about my backup and therefore I need a daily status of the backup situation. Could be successful, unsuccessful, not run, out of space and so on.
  • Unlimited space: I will need a lot of space, almost unlimited, if this is to run for many years.
  • Data availability: It is critical that I can recover and access my data at all times. I don't want to be stuck waiting for other people to manually give me access to retrieve my files.
  • Security: Since this is everything from pictures of my children to tax papers, the backup solution must be secure. All data transmitted by the internet must be encrypted and a antivirus program must be running on the targeted location.
  • Guarantee: My backup provider must guarantee my data safety. The solution must be running on proven hardware.

This is some of my own requirements but there could be many more than or even not as strict as mine. If you take a quick look at the requirements list, it easy to already now out rule some solutions. I need backup as a service, not by using a secondary hard drive. I am willing to pay for this service, as long as the price is fair. I would say around $5 a month.

Success
I found, that with my rather strict requirements, I could actually get a free backup solution for personal use and my company only has to pay $9.95 a month for a complete enterprise backup.

When you are thinking about your price, the only question you should ask yourself is: How much is my data worth?

No comments: